Bed bugs are a common household pest that can survive in a wide range of temperatures and climates. They are active year around, but some months are considered a more active time of the year for bed bug activity. Pest professionals report higher demand for bed bug eradication during the warmer months from June to October. Some suggest this is because of higher temperatures and humidity during this time, but many believe it’s actually more likely because of the summer travel season.
How Do Bed Bugs Travel
Because they don’t have wings, bed bugs move by crawling from one object to another. They don’t transport directly from person to person, but can easily attach to clothing or luggage and be transported without notice. This is why bed bug activity peaks in the summer and fall. These seasons are times when people are traveling from place to place, moving into dorms and rubbing elbows with more people than usual.
Preventing a Bed Bug Infestation
If you have plans to travel or have guests coming into your home, it’s a good idea to take some precautions to prevent bed bugs from every entering your domain.
- In hotels or rentals, keep luggage off of the bed. You may even consider putting it in the bathroom since bed bugs are less likely to live here. This will help prevent bed bugs from hitch-hiking back home with you.
- Check the bedding at an overnight stay for any signs of bed bugs.
- When purchasing furniture, especially second-hand, inspect all crevices and seams for any signs of bed bugs before bringing inside your home.
- Check luggage and clothing before entering your home upon arrival from traveling.
These precautions can keep you alert and provide some peace of mind to keep these unwanted creatures at bay.
Signs to Look For
In order to prevent bed bugs from entering your home, it’s important to know the signs of an issue:
- Live bugs in mattresses or other upholstered items
- Blood stains on sheets or mattresses
- Fecal remains in bedding
- Skins that have been shed
- Bites in a line or zig-zag pattern on skin that is exposed at night
If you notice any of these signs in a hotel or piece of furniture coming into your home, think again before moving forward. Remove your luggage immediately from the area and notify the hotel or rental management as soon as you suspect bugs could be present. If you are thinking of purchasing a piece of furniture, walk away. The savings of buying second-hand will quickly be lost if a battle with bed bugs ensues.
Protect Your Home Throughout the Year While bed bugs may spread more quickly in the summer months, pests can invade your home at anytime throughout the year. Trip Pest Control can offer protection from bed bugs and other pests with recurring pest control all throughout the year. By setting up scheduled visits, our professionals can identify potential problems early to avoid costly treatments down the road.